Calling all Chicagoland runners! Check out this amazing inaugural race that is sure to have some of the best views ever! I know I’ll be taking part…I grew up a few minutes from the Dunes and would love to run this course in the fall!
Hero Half Marathon and 10k
When: Sunday, October 20, 2013 at 8 am CST
Where: Indiana Dunes State Park (40 miles east of Chicago on Lake Michigan)
Cost: $40 for 10k, $75 for half marathon
Register: Herohalf.com and use code HERO10 for $10 off!
More about the race:
1) This is an inaugural race with amazing course routes. This 1 of only 2 races that the Dunes State Park is allowing to run a race through their property, so this is a HUGE deal (the other race is in the spring).
2) Ok, wait…am I going to be running up and down sand dunes?!
The course is actually very flat and runs alongside some really gorgeous views of the beach, especially in Beverly Shores where you can see the Chicago skyline very clearly. It does go through the Dunes State Park along some dunes, but not up any of them! Come race day, the leaves will be turning to the fall orange, yellow and red colors so it should be gorgeous!
The route begins on the shoreline of Lake Michigan, taking you along the Dunes, through wetlands, and ending on a grand tour of the serene Calumet Trail to compete in this one-of-a-kind course. A majority of this race will be run on paved trails and roads, 2.21 miles will be run on the Calumet Trail (which is currently not paved) starting at East State Park Boundary Road headed West and ending at Tremont.
3) Race organizers are anticipating about 500 total participants between the half and 10k this year, given that this is a first year event. You can also join a team and be a hero for a good cause! Their goal is to raise $100,000 for charities. Click here to learn how you can be a hero for a cause that’s important to you.
4) What’s included with registration?
- Every finisher will receive a commemorative medal
- Dri-fit technical shirt
- Bib and timing device
- Water and fruit
- Medals for the top 50 finishers (Half Marathon)
- Medals for the top 3 Male and top 3 Female finishers (Half Marathon and 10K)
And now for the great part! The generous folks that are organizing this event are offering a free entry to both the half marathon and the 10k! Use the Rafflecopter widget to enter below. Winners will be chosen in one week and all entries will be verified.
Disclosure: I received a free race entry in exchange for promotion of the event, but all opinions are my own.
Katie @ Live Half Full says
I want to do this half!!!
This would be a beautiful course! I’m from Michigan just across the state line from there but live in Indianapolis now. I miss the lake!
Samira P says
This Sounds GREAT! I would love to do the half!
Erin @ Loop Looks says
Ah! I’ve run so many pretty races. I think the most unique one I’ve run, though, was the Napa to Sonoma half marathon. Rural roads through wine country? Nothing like that in Illinois! Although, amazingly, the Milwaukee Marathon is also quite scenic.
Kelly K says
I’ve only participated in local 5k races. Mostly on our neighborhood streets. I’d love to run in a favorite local park, especially in fall!
Erica @ erica finds says
Ooh – tough question. Most scenic race – Mount Washington Road Race is pretty off the hook. Seawheeze in Vancouver is really nice, too! Vancouver Marathon also a winner. I love the NYC marathon for urban stuff. San Francisco marathon, too! I don’t like picking favorites – obviously!!
This sounds absolutely amazing!
sounds like it would be gorgeous! doing my first 10K in september, this would be a great NExt race!
This looks AMAZING! :)
Lauren Wong says
Ooohh – I so just got my costume for this! I wore it for volunteering & spectating at Ironman Wisconsin this past weekend. It would be my first time running in a tutu — I’m Wonder Woman!!!