Ahh, summer. There’s nothing like it! I know for us, summer is packed with fun: campfires with s’mores, trips to the beach or zoo with Bryce, local farmer’s markets, outdoor concerts, sporting events, running outside/races, poolside fun and backyard get-togethers. Needless to say, we are in full-on summer mode and soaking up every minute (and I’ve got photographic evidence)!
With all of the summer fun to be had, we have to remember to sneak in some healthy habits each day. Let’s be clear: I love ice cream and cocktails as much as the next girl, but in life we need to balance those treats while living our healthiest lives.
Here’s my top four tips for some healthy summer livin’ coming at ya:
1. Find time for fitness, or at least fit movement into each and every day. Decide when and where you’ll workout at the start of the week. As a Mama, you may have to rearrange a few times, but at the very least, it’s on your calendar—whether it’s first thing before the kiddo(s) wake up, during nap time or after they are asleep, or even WITH them as part of a stroller walk, playground circuit or family bike ride! Have a company gym at work? Get it done before or after work! The possibilities are endless. Your body will thank you for it.
2. Eat well. Take advantage of all the fresh, local produce at the grocery store, your garden or farmer’s market! Eat a wide array of foods with lots of fruits and veggies. Hydrate and drink that water! And make sure you are getting your protein in—because it’s hard to do sometimes (especially when you have a toddler on the move!) Personally, I love a good smoothie for breakfast. Bryce usually has his (which consists of spinach/kale and fruit with a splash of water), while I love to whip up one that combines my love of caffeine and sweets in this tasty treat:
It’s just 3/4 cup almond milk, 3 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Nutritional Boosters in vanilla (sidenote: these are GREAT! They are vegan, gluten free and contain probiotics!), 1.5 tsp instant coffee, dash of vanilla extract, 1 no calorie sweetener packet (if you aren’t using sweetened almond milk), and about 10 ice cubes.
3. Plan and prepare. If I don’t have healthy snacks and food readily available, I make poor dietary choices. I always plan out Bryce’s meals for the day, so taking a few minutes to do mine and stock up the fridge with some hard-boiled eggs, chopping/washing up fruit & veggies or grilling some chicken breast help me make good choices. It’s worth it in the long run.
4. Relax. Summer life can be BUSY. It’s important to slow down and do what makes you feel best from time to time. Sleep in, watch a favorite TV show, read a book, do date night or girls nights, some retail therapy, you get the idea :-) Our mental health is so important to our overall health and it is important to give our bodies and minds time to decompress.
And now the fun part… I have partnered with Bob’s Red Mill to giveaway one 16 ounce bag of your flavor choice (Chai, Vanilla, Chocolate or the Protein & Fiber Booster), valued at $30!
- Liking Bob’s Red Mill and The Style Files on Facebook
- Sharing the giveaway on Facebook, tagging Bob’s Red Mill and The Style Files
- Following Bob’s Red Mill and The Style Files on Instagram
- Sharing the giveaway on Instagram, tagging Bob’s Red Mill, The Style Files and using #summerstrong and #fuelyourawesomeness
- Re-gram a Bob’s Red Mill photo, tagging The Style Files and Bob’s Red Mill
- Sign up for the Bob’s Red Mill e-newsletter at the bottom of their website
- Pin a photo of a Bob’s Red Mill’s product..either from this post or their website!
- Following Bob’s Red Mill and The Style Files on Pinterest
I will randomly select a winner one week from now on Friday, July 22nd. If you just can’t wait to try Bob’s Red Mill, here is a coupon for you to use!
What tips do you have for healthy summer livin?
Update: Winner has been chosen on 7/22. Congrats to Annie!
This post was in partnership with FitApproach and Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are my own.
#SummerStrong #FuelYourAwesomeness #BobsRedMill #SweatPink @BobsRedMill @FitApproach