Gurnee Days 10K Race and 2 Mile Run/Walk
When: Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 7:30am
Where: Warren High School- O’Plaine Campus, 500 N. O’Plaine Road, Gurnee, IL
Cost (through July 31): $20 for 10k, $15 for 2 mi run, $10 for 2 mi walk (family discounts and race day registration available)
To register: Register at gurneeparkdistrict.com
What I like about the race:
1) Gorgeous, mostly flat USATF certified course covering part of the Des Plaines River Trail. Last year, I encountered a deer about five feet away from me! Kinda had a Snow White moment with all the little creatures around me in nature…pretty neat.
2) Smaller race, which means no overcrowded trails and wasting your energy dodging in and out of the crowds. And in past years, they started the runners first and the walkers a couple of minutes afterwards which was awesome.
3) Awards: 10K awards are given to overall male and female; and the top 3 finishers in each age category. 2 Mile Fun Run awards are given to the overall male and female and the top 3 finishers in each age category.
4) A bountiful assortment of food and refreshments. With sponsors like Panera Bread and past ones like Coca Cola and Sweet Tomatoes, you know you won’t be leaving hungry.
5) Great price for a local, certified 10k race. Plus, you get a very nice technical t-shirt. Great bang for the buck considering some 5ks are $30+.
Click here to learn more about the event. Great local race if you are in the area!
(And if you are sticking around Gurnee for the weekend, check out their other fun activities during Gurnee Days weekend here.)
And while we are at it, here it this week’s workout log:
Workout log for July 15-July 21:
July 15: 5.24 miles, Time: 51:17, Pace: 9:48
July 16: rest
July 17: Step Class (wanted to mix it up and use my Groupon for group exercise classes…I was scared it would be like the old step classes from the ’90s but I worked up a good sweat!)
July 18: 2 mile walk with Izzy, Ripped in 30 Jillian Michael’s DVD
July 19: rest
July 20: 5.01 miles, Time: 47:32, Pace: 9:29, 1.25 mile walk with Izzy
July 21: 10.85 mile group run!, Time: 1:53:55, Pace: 10:31
Had a blast on my long run with fellow bloggers Kim, Emily, Bobbi and Riyanti!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Bloglovin’
Disclosure: I received a free race entry in exchange for promotion on my blog. However, I have run this race on more than one occasion and all opinions are 100% my own!
Linking up with:
Still Being Molly/Lipgloss & Crayons
I wonder if the course goes where we were running yesterday! Probably! Did you place last year?!
Thanks for running with me this week!
I think it goes south on the trail but it might overlap a little bit…it all kinda looks the same out there! I placed two years ago believe it or not! I love running with a buddy! :-)
it was so nice to meet you and run together for a bit! Sorry you had to listen to me angry running :)
So nice to finally meet you Bobbi! I SO enjoyed running with you ladies– so nice to talk, rant, whatever! I’m so used to running solo that I didn’t realize how awesome running buddies are! Hope to repeat soon!